Welcome to StockForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Help with deciding which stock to invest in?

Toronto Stock Exchange - The Canadian Stock Market

Postby fitzwilliam66 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:07 pm

I am 13 and I want to buy some stock. I'll be getting some money soon and I want to invest $100 of it. What should I invest in? Also since I live in Canada would I be buying from the Toronto Stock Exchange or can I buy from Wall Street?
fitzwilliam66

Postby tait49 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:26 pm

That small of an amount of money should not be invested in any single stock, your putting all your eggs in one basket. For someone just getting started you should consider a mutual fund. It's like owning a little bit of many stocks which reduces your risk. Also know that investing in the stock market, whether stocks or mutual funds, is a long term investment. Most experts say you should plan on holding it for at least 15 years. If you plan to use the money for college you may want to consider something more short term like a CD (certificate of deposit), it will pay a guaranteed return.
tait49

Postby udayle » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:27 pm

Take a good look at Amerityre Corp (AMTY). There website is Amerityre.com.
udayle

Postby christiaan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Don't!

Even a discount broker would charge you $10-12 to buy share(s). And as much to sell. You're starting more than ten percent in the red!
christiaan

Postby cormack31 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:38 pm

Don't!

Even a discount broker would charge you $10-12 to buy share(s). And as much to sell. You're starting more than ten percent in the red!
DONT BUY STOCKS!

With that small amount invest it in Mutual Funds. Find one with a long track record with an average of 10% returns or more and try to fund it every month. Be patient. Set it and forget it.
cormack31

Postby rayhourne70 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:42 pm

You want to put it in a mutual fund (owning a small piece of hundreds of companies instead of a small piece of a single company). You'll do much better with a mutual fund (less risk).

Unfortunately, it's hard to find mutual funds that will let you open an an account with less than $500 or $1,000, but I'm sure that some will.

If you can't get in a mutual fund, put it a savings account and add to the account over time. Once the account has over $1000, then put that in a mutual fund.
rayhourne70

Postby coy17 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:45 pm

With such a small amount of money, you really should buy into a mutual fund. And you should get into the habit depositing any monies you recieve into that fund.

There are thousands of people just like you that are, or were looking to invest and those that did buy Mutual Funds. One purpose of mutual funds is to help investors like you, who are either just entering the investment world or who have no experience investing.
Fund companies have an entire array of products many will fit your needs.
You can go to the MSN.Money website it has an entire section on mutual funds. Read about the various funds and in doing so you will be getting investment ideas and at the same time educating yourself about investing.

Don't let any one tell you not to start investing.
coy17

Postby ronson » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Put your money into Canadian Oil trusts you can buy them in Canada or USA exchange they give you 14% to 25% Dividends every month on the shares you own. If the market goes up or down. Symbols PWE and AAV
You can not go wrong with these.

Kurt Hummel
http://hotshorturl.com/ok40
ronson

Return to TMX