Welcome to StockForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Gary Bettman's contract extended to 2017?

Toronto Stock Exchange - The Canadian Stock Market

Postby dobhailen62 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:29 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/bettman-holds-new-contract-and-all-the-cards/article1938061/?utm_medium=Feeds%3A%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=Hockey&utm_content=1938061&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

What do you think of Bettman's response to Air Canada's demands (that they will pull sponsorship if the NHL does not take immidiate action on headshots)?

Air Canada's threat-http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/952137--air-canada-threat-to-pull-nhl-sponsorship-could-open-floodgates?bn=1

Gary Bettman's response-http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2011/03/10/17569736.html
dobhailen62

Postby delmore77 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:36 pm

If the NHL is really hurting Air Canada's brand, why didn't Air Canada get out long ago? I know the first thing I thought of when I saw the Chara hit was 'WWACD?' (What would Air Canada Do?') It's a crock.

1) Do Air Canada shareholders support this? (especially those in Winnipeg and Quebec who are hopeful of an NHL franchise)
2) Do Air Canada employees support this?
3) Does the Air Canada Board of Directors support this?

I wonder if the CEO just got a little loose and trying to exert a little misplaced muscle.

ss98 - I'm so glad you aren't my financial advisor.

In August 1992, the government of Canada spun off it's shares in Air Canada valuing the company at $1.45B (242,000,000 shares @ $6.00). The value of Air Canada today on the Toronto Stock Exchange is http://tmx.quotemedia.com/quote.php?qm_page=16669&qm_symbol=AC.A or $126MM....a loss of over 90%

In July 1999, WestJet went public valuing the company at $370MM (37,000,000 @ $10.00). The value of WestJet today is http://tmx.quotemedia.com/quote.php?qm_symbol=WJA or $2.055B.....a gain of 455%

WestJet had a profit last year of $137MM
http://tmx.quotemedia.com/financials.php?qm_page=61634&qm_symbol=WJA

Air Canada had a profit of $107MM
http://tmx.quotemedia.com/financials.php?qm_page=38616&qm_symbol=AC.A

If you want your Air Canada, you can have it! I won't be joining you in the poor house any time soon
delmore77

Postby haniel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Yay Garry!

1) He's saved hockey in Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa with the Canadian Assistance Plan
2) He's increased revenue over 400% (and player salaries accordingly)
3) He's increased American exposure (newspapers subscribing to NHL data has tripled while TV stations subscribing had more than doubled)

I'm glad that he's standing up to Air Canada. I hope they pull their sponsorship so that WestJet can come in. I have stock in Westjet and it's outperformed Air Canada the last few years.

The owners did well by having Bettman through the 1994 and 2004 CBA negotiations, they know he represents their interests and that's what they want. I don't see Bettman going anywhere until he decides that he's had enough. This deal will push him past Ziegler (the guy who put hockey in Florida and California and changed the division names) as the 3rd longest guy at the helm.

I can only imagine how much people would have hated Clarence Campbell (the Canadian lawyer who moved the head offices to New York in 1965) or John Ziegler had there been the media scrutiny that exists now.
haniel

Postby clarance » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Rare is it that I give Bettman kudos, but his response was pretty cool. Air Canada is ridiculous. Do they honestly think that they will realize some sort of consumer backlash over that hit? As if everyone who saw the hit thought "That hit was dirty! I'll never fly Air Canada OR Air Chara ever again!" Hockey is inherently Canadian, Air Canada is Canadian. It's like AB (who is nolonger American, I know) threatening to pull advertising out of football because of questionable or dirty play. It's just ignorant.
clarance

Postby kwatoko » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Rare is it that I give Bettman kudos, but his response was pretty cool. Air Canada is ridiculous. Do they honestly think that they will realize some sort of consumer backlash over that hit? As if everyone who saw the hit thought "That hit was dirty! I'll never fly Air Canada OR Air Chara ever again!" Hockey is inherently Canadian, Air Canada is Canadian. It's like AB (who is nolonger American, I know) threatening to pull advertising out of football because of questionable or dirty play. It's just ignorant.
Bettman doesn't know hockey. He's a business man. Soon, no one would be associate to this league the way he manage it. More than half the owner lost money or are just over their expenses. Bettman can't afford to answer like this while he knows that NHL is a small market compare to NFL...

NFL already did the math, protecting the player by applying the rules is a good investment! :)

My opinion : Bettman = Out!
kwatoko

Postby anseim6 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Gary Bettman called their bluff. Good on him.

Air Canada math:

They pay $1.5mm for naming rights (as I noted yesterday- if they want to walk away from that the line to get naming rights for the arena forms to the right).

Air Canada collects (conservatively) $15mm in revenue from flying the six Canadian teams (won't even count the US teams that use them).

That's a net loss of $13.5mm not counting collateral damage.

Brilliant business acumen from Air Canada. I mean...you set yourself up to lose $13.5mm AND get made to look stupid doing so. Bravo.

I'm looking forward to new "online convenience fee, seatbelt fee, and cockpit door closure fee" fee structure by summer.
anseim6

Postby rald » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:20 pm

I'm for never allowing the tail to wag the dog.
rald

Postby ualtar » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Reading this I couldn't help but wonder. Does this new contract come with a no movement clause?
ualtar

Postby hanoch76 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:40 pm

Well if Air Canada was in my area and they pulled out I WOULD support them just for that. Face it sometimes it takes a sponsor to open eyes. The League DOESN'T CARE about head shots. Everyone say it with me. They keep talking out of the wrong end. Yet when a head shot happens look how the league reacts. When there is a dirty hit the league says that's ok. Give the NFL credit that as stupid as the rules get they start enforcing them. They claim it's for safety so it is enforced. They don't say we are going to do this for safety over and over and NOT do it. Look if we just want to say I support Bettman telling them take their money and leave that's one thing. The problem with that somewhat narrow view is that is ignoring WHY they are threatening to take their money.

Add: My issue is more that I feel the rules aren't being followed basically. I don't think they want Crosby out, but I think they aren't doing enough in the punishment. Saying we aren't going to allow something, then not giving STIFF punishment is where I have an issue. Do you feel that Chara was reckless? If you want to say yes then tell me why that shouldn't warrant ANY suspension. Honestly do you think that Chara had no idea where he was on the ice, that he had done it totally blindly to what COULD happen? Not read his intent, none of us can do that. Instead read what can happen. See where I have a problem with no punishment? Either Chara is a total moron, and should be punished for that considering how long he has been playing, or he knew where he was on the ice. Either he knew what he was doing was reckless, or he needs to go back to some sort of hockey school. So giving him the benefit of the doubt I am going to say he was at best reckless and at worst disgusting in that he was attempting to injure. Based on that view I say suspend him. To me this isn't really about Bettman. This is about the man dealing out the punishments(NOTE: I am not talking about Colin Campbell in this case as his son plays for the Bruins so he doesn't take part) and why aren't they being put in place? To me the way things are going(think of the guy from the Islanders who was suspended came back and got suspended in that game as well) it is saying the players aren't taking this serious. If you just want to talk about Bettman's call then ok I agree that hey don't let the sponsors run your league. If you want to talk about the REASON the sponsors are threatening, and that's what is important, then Air Canada is right.
hanoch76

Postby montel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:45 pm

I will keep flying Air Canada and Bettman can shove it.

Our household flies Air Canada several times a year and though I think this whole thing with Pach has gone overboard, (even though I think a suspension was warrented) I think the fact that Bettman doesn't give a crap about the players or his sponsors, shows alot of disrespect. He's money hungry and nothing else. Sure, this is a business, but he has no job without everyone that supports hockey and it's NHL teams.

And to all of those who keep saying they are embarrassed by the situation, I bet if it was one of your players and your city was standing behind him the way we have, you would actually be proud. And to top it off, it's an American player and you all keep saying how much the french hate the english etc..... Just goes to show how exagerated some people are when trying to bring down this great city. Yes, it's overboard, but at the same time, our players are our family here, they aren't just guys on ice doing their job. Habs players are a big part of our culture and who we are. They DO become part of the family.

If you don't understand it, that's fine. I don't expect anyone to, but right now, I'm proud to be a Habs fan!!

Edit: I don't know what you are going on about, but I never said I thought this should be a legal case, though something needed to be done because obviously the league isn't doing a thing about it. Heck even other hockey players are agreeing.

Anyhow, I'm talking about Air Canada, not the law. It's not like I think Chara should be jailed or anything. I just think he deserved a suspension of a few days, just like almost any other player would have had. It's not because he's a veteran playing for the Bruins that he can't make mistakes. Obviously he has! An unfortunate one, but a mistake eitherway

And, I'm sorry Lity, I hope you make a big profit with your investment, but I much prefer my Air Canada

Canadian Biology Man, I wouldn't put my money on ANY airline, but that's just me. I'm not talking about investing, I'm talking about flying
montel

Next

Return to TMX