Welcome to StockForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Atheists are you considered successful in life?

New York Stock Exchange

Postby brucey » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:10 pm

I think some people have ideas of what is successful. Could you tell me if you consider yourself successful & give details.
brucey

Postby hardwin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Yes.
Two bachelor's degrees and a master's degree.
A 25-year career in electronics (where I hold several patents) and computer software, including chief technical officer of a NYSE company. Semi-retired at 46 (intelligent exercise of and investment of stock options and salary), so I don't have to work any more if I don't want to (I still do, but only at what I enjoy). Little league coach for many years, free tutor in math & science for local high school kids, community volunteer...and two kids who take many of the academic awards at the local schools. :)

I have, of course, had my share of challenges and problems (I got through college by working one full-time and one part-time job, all while carrying a full load of classes and rarely sleeping, for instance)...but it's all good.

Atheist.

Peace.

edit for "fiona" -- if you see this, PM me. I was CTO of a video game company...:)
hardwin

Postby ferehar » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:42 pm

You have a great attitude! I wish more did. Peace.
ferehar

Postby fergusson » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:13 pm

Anyone can claim anything here. Let's instead consider some public figures with well known resumes.

Would you say Isaac Asimov was successful? (PhD in biochemistry, teacher, author of *hundreds* of books, some science fiction, some popularizing science, some "hard science" in his field)

How about Carl Sagan? (PhD in astronomy, another terrific science educator, promoter of space exploration)

Noam Chomsky: PhD in linguistics. Theory of generative grammar. Between 1980 and 1982, cited as a source more often than any other living scholar.

Francis Crick: Co-discoverer of DNA.

James Watson: The other co-discoverer of DNA.

Marie Curie: Nobel prizes for physics and chemistry, isolated radium

Thomas Edison: need I really list his accomplishments?

"According to the Bible, all of the above are fools."
fergusson

Postby kerwin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Loving, happy, productive family with strong values and ethical, responsible approach to the community and the world. Some close friends, and extended family all mutually cared for. Continuing education. Lots of cultural pursuits - books, music, making stuff, being in the garden or the bush (Australian). Not in debt. Not saddled with excess possessions. Pets.

I suppose being able to meet our responsibilities makes us feel successful.

Also, as I child what I wanted most was to understand. Education, observation and analysis has allowed me to feel successful in my understanding so far. I suspect that most atheists value knowledge and understanding, and see its acquisition as a sign of success.
Good question.
kerwin

Postby morogh » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Yes, I consider myself successful.

I have a PhD in computer science. I have a great job making video games, and I make a six figure salary. I don't really care about the money other than that it allows me to make sure my mom is well taken care of. I have no children (my choice). I have many very good friends, and hobbies that I love (astronomy, hiking, squash, and sailing).

I learn new things every day and am constantly in awe of the universe I live in.
morogh

Postby ualtar » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:48 pm

i don't really have much to go off of, but i consider myself very successful in school. i've only ever had one grade below an A and that was in a keyboarding class, which isn't really important anyway, seeing as i have significantly improved my typing skills since then on my own.
ualtar

Postby aesoburne » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Intelligence and willpower, that is the only successful thing, because intelligence gives you the right option, and willpower allows you to act properly

EDIT

Are you considered successful in your life? No, I don't think so.
aesoburne

Postby jacinto » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:31 pm

I consider myself successful - I'm happy, educated, have a job I enjoy that also pays well, have several very good friends and one beautiful woman in my life.

And that will just about do me to be honest.
jacinto

Postby manasses » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:57 pm

I consider myself successful - I'm happy, educated, have a job I enjoy that also pays well, have several very good friends and one beautiful woman in my life.

And that will just about do me to be honest.
Success in my eyes is doing what you intended to do in life, with ease. Success is living the way you planned, and having the relationships you want. Success is achieving your goals. If God and Jesus arent in that plan, who gives a flying F***

answer mine?

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/ask;_ylt=Alpm6DPH8HeTVlmE4xnvLG.0FQx.;_ylv=3
manasses

Next

Return to NYSE