Welcome to StockForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Stock market advice please?

Mutual Funds, Hedge Funds and ETFs

Postby hinrik3 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:44 pm

A third of my portfolio has dropped about 36% from what I bought it for. The rest is mainly gold ETFs. It is very cheap and it is a great company, but I'm afraid to buy more. Every time I grap some more, it drops more. Should I sell it all and take the 36% hit and buy back at a lower price? Or wait it out?

Stock is CHK by the way.
hinrik3

Postby theodorus80 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:48 pm

As the commodity natural gas goes down so do the natural gas stocks and that is what has happened along with some panic as well.

It doesn't matter how much you paid for it. The fact is you were wrong when you bought it, so now you need to decide where it goes from here and whether you think the investment can outperform the market or another investment from this point forward.

Keep an eye on Earnings announcements, and insider buys by the CEO.

Whoever gets elected it seems to me that Natural Gas just has to become a viable energy alternative that needs to be moved to the head of the table.

theodorus80

Postby filbert27 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:52 pm

Sell, with the Bust on Wall street you need to keep it until things are better with Obama as Prez!
filbert27

Postby thijs55 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:11 pm

It depends on the company's fundamentals and if that company has enough free cash flow to fund its own growth.

First, consider your time horizon. If it's more than two years and the company is not in the financial sector and one which you feel is not in danger of becoming insolvent then you may want to increase your position. But having one equity as a significant portion of your portfolio is risky at any time and especially risky right now. I like ETFs and Index funds for a long time horizon--easy diversification. Good luck.

Hopefully, this isn't Ford we're talking about.
thijs55

Return to Mutual Funds