Welcome to StockForums.info!   

Advertisments:

How should I start stock trading?

Mutual Funds, Hedge Funds and ETFs

Postby matunaagd98 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:29 pm

I am 20, and really would like to get into stock trading just I really don't know what is a good way for me to start. I made/funded my tdameritrade account, just I don't know where to go from here.

thanks in advance!
matunaagd98

Postby tupac94 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:51 pm

Banks & Insurance Companies are the absolute worst places for investment funds. Poor product, expensive fees and commissions and generally very poor "financial counselors" that a novice would never realize how poor they were for 5-10 years.

TD Ameritrade is among the best places for a novice to go.

However.... you need to learn some basics. Read:
Investing For Dummies
Mutual Funds For Dummies

Don't take specific investing advice from anyone.... including friends, relatives, "experts" and most of all total strangers. Don't chase returns. Don't put all your "eggs" in one basket.

Learn about Mutual Funds and "asset allocation". Keep learning..... as long as you're investing.

Buy only no load, low fee Mutual Funds. Don't pay additional management fees. "Only 1%" is a very high fee... no matter how it's sold.

Good luck!
tupac94

Postby erwinek67 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:04 pm

I wish I were 20 again and could invest like I do now. It's not a question... you are crazy if you don't. Do it now and don't worry about the little money coming out of your paycheck. Also don't worry about buying much right now. Buy only the S&P 500 ETF (ticker SPY). It goes up when the market goes up and down when the market goes down. It also offers a 2% divdidend payable every 3 months.

I knew I should of been investing at your age and I didn't. I am 34 years now and am paying for it.
erwinek67

Postby ephram » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:45 pm

hey i just started too...

i just gave me money to the bank, and they started stock trading FOR me.

i just sit back and do nothing, cept watch my balance go up... or down.

i think this is what it's all about...
ephram

Return to Mutual Funds