Welcome to StockForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Good finance books (Mutual fund)?

Mutual Funds, Hedge Funds and ETFs

Postby hannraoi8 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm a Junior in High school, and I have been interested in finance. Stocks caught my attention first; I have read 4 or 5 books by Peter Lynch, William O'Neil, and Philip Fisher. However, I feel like reading more books regarding stocks is redundant. My goal in life is to find myself working within a mutual fund, or maybe potentially creating one. I know there are many types of mutual funds (not only stock investments) and I am curious to learn of those. What types of investments should I learn about next? Any good book recommendations?
hannraoi8

Postby shadwell » Wed May 01, 2013 2:51 pm

I'm a Junior in High school, and I have been interested in finance. Stocks caught my attention first; I have read 4 or 5 books by Peter Lynch, William O'Neil, and Philip Fisher. However, I feel like reading more books regarding stocks is redundant. My goal in life is to find myself working within a mutual fund, or maybe potentially creating one. I know there are many types of mutual funds (not only stock investments) and I am curious to learn of those. What types of investments should I learn about next? Any good book recommendations?
@ John:

the only good way is to start investing yourself.

my first investment as a college student was just a $1000.00 (which is typ. minimum needed).

i never liked mutual funds (at the time), since i had no control over my investments, so i couldn't read / pay attention to all the giberish, like income statements, balanace statements, beta, bollinger bands, SMA, etc.

there are some sights , google, yahoo, that allow you to trade "fake money," basically it's a stock market simulator

of course, when u invest ur own eggs, it's much more dreadful...=P
shadwell

Postby ruodrik » Wed May 01, 2013 3:25 pm

To get a good understanding of finance I suggest that you go for Pike R. and Neale B. (ed.) Corporate Finance and Investment. Prentice Hall Publishers. This book unveils the basics of finance in very simple English and there are also illustrative examples that further illustrate the salient premises outlined in the book.

I can also suggest a yahoo group that can further meet your need. Such group was designed in order to group academics and students in the field of finance and business where questions can be raised and answered accordingly.
ruodrik

Return to Mutual Funds