Welcome to StockForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Can someone tell me about a good stock market?

Mutual Funds, Hedge Funds and ETFs

Postby delsy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:44 am

im very interested in getting into the stock market. i want to put some money and hopefully earn money by doing that, i just wanted to know how to make money off of it and not loose any money off of it anyone know any information? anything will help :)
delsy

Postby aldrik » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:57 am

The stock market is not currently for you because as you stated that you do not want to lose money so if you invest today and the market go down all next week, you would sale and lose money plus the market is at a all time high, I do not see the market continue to go higher like this for many years within the future.....All stocks are fairly highly correlated, so they all tend to go down in a bear market. Large cap defensives typically go down less, but still negative absolute returns.If you are in a position where you have to stay invested (example: mutual fund manager), then moving to defensive stocks makes sense. As an individual investor, you have the option to move to cash. If you can recognize the start of a bear market, a modest positive return on cash is far superior to a negative return on defensive stocks. Alot of people move into defensive stocks

Defensive stock- A stock that tends to remain stable under difficult economic conditions. Defensive stocks include food, tobacco, oil, and utilities. These stocks hold up in hard times because demand does not decrease as dramatically as it may in other sectors. Defensive stocks tend to lag behind the rest of the market during economic expansion because demand does not increase as dramatically in an upswing.

Read the book call "The Intelligent Investor" by Ben Graham anyway Take Care
aldrik

Postby uisdean » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:35 am

Don't put your money in the broad index's right now. They may continue their climb through 2013, but are bound for a correction anytime since the government has manipulated everything about this (stimulus, quantatitive easing, etc).

Learn how to research individual stocks and try to make money from short periods of time 3-6 months horizon. I wouldn't stay invested too long right now unless you found some small cap company you we betting on for the future.

You can limit your losses once you buy stocks through orders such as the "stop-loss", or "trailing stop" which will sell your stocks for you if they hit your desired sell point.
uisdean

Postby clarance » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:53 am

Don't put your money in the broad index's right now. They may continue their climb through 2013, but are bound for a correction anytime since the government has manipulated everything about this (stimulus, quantatitive easing, etc).

Learn how to research individual stocks and try to make money from short periods of time 3-6 months horizon. I wouldn't stay invested too long right now unless you found some small cap company you we betting on for the future.

You can limit your losses once you buy stocks through orders such as the "stop-loss", or "trailing stop" which will sell your stocks for you if they hit your desired sell point.
You will always lose money. Get used to that. In the long run, if you manage your risk and pick solid companies... chances are you'll do well.

Many of us lost 30%, 40% & 50% or more in the recession. Most of us have recovered and are well in to profit. The market does this. Read some books. Understand the basics. You don't have to be an expert. Stock Mutual Funds might be your best bet.

The worst thing you can do is try to predict how the market will behave or listen to those that think they know. Don't be an ignorant fool & fool yourself (and others) in thinking you know the future.
clarance

Return to Mutual Funds