Welcome to StockForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Why do the British think they created America?

London Stock Exchange

Postby bayhard16 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:40 pm

I play a lot of online games, and a british friends of mine (we tend to argue a bit) Keep saying that the british created America. Im sick of hear him go on about how the British colonized america. How do I get it through his think head that it was imigrants that created America?
bayhard16

Postby barric » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Let's agree that someone needs to get the origin of America through their thick head.z

How you have been taught places emphasis on how immigrants created America. The American founding myth is that burly independent spirited men with a 1000-yard stare and a firm handshake carved out the country from the wilderness. Did you ever ask yourself what he carved it with?

We were taught that the immigrants who created America were largely from Britain. Building colonies requires immigrants, backed by the sort of consistent funding and resources that none of the other European powers were prepared to make. Building strong colonies quickly takes well equipped immigrants, with all the necessary parts for a village blacksmith delivered as you start building the village, plus nails, cloth, shoes, glass, seeds, etc. There wasn't time to grow up local industry to make the nuts and bolts of the new world. All this came out on a constant conveyor belt, starting at a Factory in Britain, and ending at the Frontier.

In almost every European country, the rest of the World scarcely registers. If someone hates tyranny, they know the tyranny they hate. They stay home, man the barricades, and cause revolutions. In addition, the governments didn't want their bright educated ambitious people leaving, so they blocked their departure.

Britain had an Empire in desperate need of people, so not only were criminals deported to where they needed warm bodies, but Britain issued travel credentials very easily to anyone that wanted to go. A British emigrant got a fresh start & a new chance, and it was British government policy to populate the colonies with British emigrants.

Also, the funding for all of the major infrastructure projects in the USA in the 19th Century e.g. Trans-continental Railway, the Panama Canal, the Chicago Canning Factories, etc was raised on the London Stock Exchange.

There is a tension between you believing that immigrants created America, and the British believing that emigrants created America. The British are systemic thinkers; nothing happens unless you plan for it. In America you think a man (with a song in his heart, and possibly a whistle on his lips) fells a tree. In Britain we think a man with an axe, working for a logging company fells trees.

Do you understand where the British delusion comes from that they created America?
barric

Postby engelbert » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:00 pm

I wouldn't say the British created America, after all the natives had their own culture there, but the British invaded it. I am British and I would not say we "created" America, but by those escaping religious persecution helped to start off another culture and laid the foundations for the culture to be built on. Many others came, the Spanish and French for example as can be seen in the names of some places, who then expanded on a Western culture of what then became a country for freedom, achieving your own place in society and not just position. I would not say we created America, just as I said laid the foundations for it.
engelbert

Postby giovani » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:04 pm

The British were the ones who colonised America and most of Americans (52%) descend from the UK most others are from other places in europe mostly germany Britain is the reason America is what it is if it was not for the UK you would be speaking spanish or native american. New york would be new amsterdam nearly every city would be called something different. The British are the ones who got america on its own two feet the US military is a near exact copy of the British military 90% of the USA's culture is from Britain most of its stories come from the UK its myths and legends as well.
I would say if it was not for the British america would be a very different place to what we know it today.

@fleur how could the British invade what they already owned
giovani

Postby iye38 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:28 pm

I think you are very good to tease. This Brit/US jibe seems to really get up your nose and your Brit friend is just poking you - probably to psyche you out during your online game. History now tells us that the Vikings were probably the first 'immigrants'. Later, we know the British shoved a few colonies onto US soil (before it was the USA) and then everyone else joined in at a later date. We British are a mongrel race and so are Americans. Why not be proud of your country and who you are rather than get wound up by other people. Just tell him that the Vikings were there first - after the native American tribes of course.....or maybe even before?? Who knows?
iye38

Postby macalister » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:25 am

I think you are very good to tease. This Brit/US jibe seems to really get up your nose and your Brit friend is just poking you - probably to psyche you out during your online game. History now tells us that the Vikings were probably the first 'immigrants'. Later, we know the British shoved a few colonies onto US soil (before it was the USA) and then everyone else joined in at a later date. We British are a mongrel race and so are Americans. Why not be proud of your country and who you are rather than get wound up by other people. Just tell him that the Vikings were there first - after the native American tribes of course.....or maybe even before?? Who knows?
They did create it in a way they were always under British rule. Its just that our fore fathers branched away and didn't wanna be part of it from the king and taxes and etc they just wanted to be independent.

I'm not a history buff

just look at Wikipedia most of the time its correct lol
macalister

Postby jukka » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:33 am

But, it was the British who colonized american and technically speaking, any non-native is an immigrant, so both of you are somewhat right.
jukka

Postby roka » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 am

The first Americans were British. But those who got America to what it is today are bunch of different people from different countries and from different times, no one holds the credit.
roka

Postby garron » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:36 am

probably because some guy from england sailed over and said it was theirs and loads of the cities are named after english cities
york-newyork
boston-boston etc
garron

Postby melvon91 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:06 am

Canada # 1
melvon91

Next

Return to LSE