Welcome to StockForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Have you sold your dividend stocks, or are you preparing to do so?

Postby mervyn » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Since the tripling of dividend taxes will pretty much make most of those stocks not a money earner any more.

Do you think the tax increase will impact the thousands of Seniors who rely on dividend payments to fund their retirements?
mervyn

Postby byrtel » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:53 pm

Actually, they can go up to almost 44% "Add the 3.8% and the tax on dividends will nearly triple to 43.4% for the highest earners."

Time to sell now - don't wait for 2013.

EDIT: Scary how many people are yelling for you to have a calculator, and have no idea what they're talking about.
byrtel

Postby buck4 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:08 pm

No they're not dumb sh*t. A little help here for another mathematically deficient conservative. from 15% to 39% is not triple. and no I don't think it will matter since MOST of those people who are retired and using dividends have those investments in IRA's so they are taxed as normal income anyway...AND, when Bush lowered those taxes it made little difference. BTW. That will not make them a loser. In addition. What investment to you suggest that would have a higher rate of return and a lower tax rate? I'll be waiting for your answer! Just a reminder. Mindlessly regurgitating right wing talking points can make you look quite foolish when faced with the cold, hard light of reality.
buck4

Postby parkins100 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Unless you've heard something I haven't, the most they could go up to is the same rates for earned income, which is only double the current tax. So according to your question, it would be better to sell those stocks in order to avoid paying income tax rates and not have the income to begin with. Is that right?

Not only is that silly, it also opens you up to capital gains on the whole amount.
parkins100

Postby seaward » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:24 pm

There is no tripling of dividend taxes.

And in order for it to "make most of those stocks not a money earner any more" it would have to be taxed at 100%. Or do you not understand BASIC MATH?

Are you claiming that dividend taxes are now at 33%? Or are you just a LYING SACK OF SH!T?

YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU'RE A LIAR!!!
YOU'RE A LIAR!!!

"You're right - they're not going from 15% to 45%, only up to 39.5%."

So you are admitting that you are too stupid to divide by three? fvcking illiterate moron!

Are you saying that my salary isn't a money maker if I'm taxed 39.5%?

LOL

Wow, you are stupid!
seaward

Postby edmund » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:25 pm

My plan is to sell all dividend paying stock and reinvest in growth non U.S. companies. For those investments I will hold onto them since I do not need the income until tax rates are more favorable. Additionally, if estate tax exemptions are lowered, I am moving to British Columbia.
edmund

Postby grufydd55 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:28 pm

Tripling of dividend stocks? Not really. If nothing is done they will go from the present 15% to 39%. But I'll bet you as part of the new tax cuts structure the capital gains tax might go up from 15% but more likely to maybe 20% or 25% tops.
grufydd55

Postby rald25 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:42 pm

Can't because in California that will generate 25% federal and 10% state cap gains taxes even now. That will be at least 34% in seven weeks. But expect a massive sell-off and dropping stock market through December because the business community has been branded as criminals by this administration.
rald25

Postby myron » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:47 pm

Current dividend rate: 15%.

Maximum rate--absolute maximum--after fiscal cliff: 39.6%.

Grab a calculator, genius. Either that or look up the word "tripling."
myron

Postby amery » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:50 pm

You've been given some seriously wrong advice. The appeal of dividends is not now–and has never been–purely a function of tax policy. Dividends work because they deliver what capital gains can’t: consistent cash returns that are always and only positive Don't sell them off.
amery

Next

Return to General Chat