Welcome to StockForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Do I have to wait for online broker's 1099b/statement to claim a $14 capital loss on Turbo tax return?

Do I have to wait for online broker's 1099b/statement to claim a $14 capital loss on Turbo tax return?

Postby fitzwalter » Mon May 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Hello,
I bought & sold one stock last year through an online broker. Had a $14 capital loss. I have no other dividends/interest for 2012. Just the one stock. I entered everything in turbo tax(# of shares sold, cost basis, etc.) & it is asking me if it was reported on a 1099-b or year end statement. I have not received any such form/statement from the online broker. I know my numbers are exact. Can I safely file now? Should I choose 'yes', that it was reported on 1099-b or equivalent statement? I would really appreciate someone's opinion, as I am obviously very new to buying/selling stocks... Thank you.
fitzwalter

Postby dietz » Mon May 06, 2013 3:18 pm

Personally, I would suggest that you wait a few more days for the receipt of this document.

In the meantime, you could contact the firm that is responsible for issuing this document to determine if it has been mailed and probably lost in transit or if it is forthcoming in the next few days.
dietz

Return to General Chat