Welcome to StockForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Does the US Government impose taxs on the profits of the Stock exchange?

NYSE Euronext corporation

Postby edom » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:50 am

and If I am not a US citizin can I buy some stocks in wall street stock exchange market?? and wat are the papers needed for that??
edom

Postby hoireabard » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:55 am

and If I am not a US citizin can I buy some stocks in wall street stock exchange market?? and wat are the papers needed for that??
The first question is that most major exchanges are common corporations, so they pay taxes on their operations.

Last year, the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) did an average amount of trading business of $141 billion daily (p. 2 of annual report). On the Income statement (p. 66), the total revenue was $4.1 billion. The difference? Revenues that they are taxed on is the income of operation, each day people may pass $141 billion, but that is the bulk of mutual funds, insurance companies, corporate traders, and several million individuals buying and selling stuff. So make sure you have that distinction in mind. The NYSE had a net income last year of some 643 billion bucks, and an allowance for taxes of some $253 billion. Yes they pay taxes.

As for whether you can buy some, that is answered by your broker. Foreign (to the U.S.) firms and individuals buy stocks on the exchange all the time, but if it helps, the NYSE includes an operation at 39 Rue Cambon, Paris, France -- Euronext. If your broker allows you to that venue, then yes, definitely. NYSE Euronext is the New York Stock Exchange's full name.
hoireabard

Postby christiaan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:00 am

Yes the NYSE is a corporation. Or are you just talking about American stocks? In any case you can buy any publicly traded stocks through any broker almost anywhere, even me.
christiaan

Postby rorry94 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:03 am

You pay 35% tax on all capital gains made on stock held less than 365 days. At 366 days, the capital gains goes down to 15%. Losses can be used using the same percentages over the same number of days. You are allowed to writeoff losses up to $3000. Anything over $3000 is carried over to the next tax year.
rorry94

Postby bent » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:10 am

If you made money here then you need to pay taxes in the United States. The tax rate depends on how much you make and it isn't a flat rate of 35%.
bent

Return to Euronext