Welcome to StockForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Who's effected by the ekati diamond mine?

Australian markets only: ASX

Who's effected by the ekati diamond mine?

Postby macbeth » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:40 pm

Lots of people who work there & benefit from the paid work it provides for them.

I also found this on the mine operator's website:

"Throughout the exploration, development and construction of the EKATI Diamond Mine, BHP Billiton Canada Inc. met with members of the surrounding Aboriginal and local communities, conducting site visits for community residents, and encouraging discussion and information exchanges on land use, potential employment and mine operations.

Through discussions with all the Aboriginal groups who historically shared the Lac de Gras area (Tlicho, Akaitcho Treaty 8, North Slave Métis Alliance and the Inuit of Kugluktuk with the Kitikmeot Inuit Association), voluntary Impact and Benefits Agreements (IBAs) were entered into with each group for employment, training, scholarships, community involvement, business opportunities, environmental mitigation, cultural sensitivity and traditional knowledge studies.

Communities affected by the project as defined by the Environmental Assessment Review Panel (EARP) are Yellowknife, the Tlicho communities of Behchoko, Wekweètì, Wha Tì, and Gamètì, the Metis of the North Slave Region, the Akaitcho Treaty 8 communities of Lutsel k'e, Dettah, N'dilo and the Inuit community of Kugluktuk.

BHP Billiton Canada Inc. continues to meet with the local and Aboriginal communities as well as local and the Government of the Northwest Territories, as part of our ongoing commitments under the Socio-Economic Agreement, Environment Agreement and IBAs."
macbeth

Return to Australian Stock Picks