Welcome to StockForums.info!   

Advertisments:

I want to buy stock...?

Australian markets only: ASX

I want to buy stock...?

Postby brone » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi i've just got a new job, (just out of university) and while it has nothing to do with the financial world, I would like to use some of my wages to play on the stock market... is there a U.K site where I can buy stock with out too much comission?

Thanks to you all, and any other tips welcome I am a complete novice!!!
brone

I want to buy stock...?

Postby percy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Before you buy the actual shares, take a look at spread betting. You don't actually own the stock, instead you specualte an amount of moeny per 1p movement in the stock.

For example, if you believe based on your analysis that the stock of Rio Tinto is going to go higher, then you can place a trade for say £2 a point or 1 peny movement. If the stock price goes up by 40 pence, then you make £80.

The good thing about spread betting is it is tax free, and you can make money in both rising and falling markets.

If you buy stock, then you can only make money if the stock price goes up.

Also, you should consider trading commodities such as gold, corn, wheat and soybeans, all which are great markets to trade.

I started off trading the FTSE 350 stocks, but I now just trade the mini Dow and currencies. You can make money spread betting the FTSE 350 stock, but it is a lot of work to scan through 350 charts every day.

If you are serious about investing, you should go on a course first, before you put your money on the line. There good opportunities trading, but you have to know what you are doing, otherwise you will lose a lot of money.

A good educational website is www.tradethemarkets.com.

For charting, take a look at www.tradestation.com

For spreadbetting, the following companies are good.
www.capitalspreads.com
www.cityindex.com

Good luck!
percy

I want to buy stock...?

Postby tuathal35 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Before you buy the actual shares, take a look at spread betting. You don't actually own the stock, instead you specualte an amount of moeny per 1p movement in the stock.

For example, if you believe based on your analysis that the stock of Rio Tinto is going to go higher, then you can place a trade for say £2 a point or 1 peny movement. If the stock price goes up by 40 pence, then you make £80.

The good thing about spread betting is it is tax free, and you can make money in both rising and falling markets.

If you buy stock, then you can only make money if the stock price goes up.

Also, you should consider trading commodities such as gold, corn, wheat and soybeans, all which are great markets to trade.

I started off trading the FTSE 350 stocks, but I now just trade the mini Dow and currencies. You can make money spread betting the FTSE 350 stock, but it is a lot of work to scan through 350 charts every day.

If you are serious about investing, you should go on a course first, before you put your money on the line. There good opportunities trading, but you have to know what you are doing, otherwise you will lose a lot of money.

A good educational website is www.tradethemarkets.com.

For charting, take a look at www.tradestation.com

For spreadbetting, the following companies are good.
www.capitalspreads.com
www.cityindex.com

Good luck!
Hi Antonio,

There is a new UK site which I would recommend : http://www.ftsie.com it's the 1st and only property stock market where you buy and sell shares in the property of your choice.

So you put £20/ £1OO/ £10000 however much you want into a property, they then manage the property for you and resell it. This is good because its very low risk, property is the safest investment and returns are by far the highest, I put a bit of money in their properties from time to time and you can get 50%+ returns on your money in 3 months.

Take a look at the website,

Lara =)
tuathal35

Return to Australian Stock Picks